The Role Of The Controller
As in the real world, the role of a VATSIM Air Traffic Controller is to:
- Maintain an orderly flow of air traffic.
- Provide separation service between aircraft in the air and on the ground.
- Provide assistance to pilots.
As an ATC you will be providing a service to others members on the network, in this case, pilots. Controllers will need to undergo training to achieve the required standard. Training is provided by VATSIM in order to achieve different ratings, which allow you to control different positions. You are encouraged to progress through the ratings as far as you wish to go.
To become an approved VATCA Air Traffic Controller, you must first join a VATSIM Region and Division. You need to select the Region of South America & Division of Central America. It is important to consider the local timezone of the Division you join.
After selecting a Division, navigate to their website to find information about their training process and available contacts for you to get started.
If you want to apply as a VATCA Air Traffic Controller (ATC) feel free to fill out this form: ATC Training Request Form.
VATSIM has a Global Rating Policy (GRP) which all Divisions and Training Departments adhere to. The ratings defined by GRP include:
- Tower Trainee (S1) – First controller rating, which allows you to get started on some aerodrome positions (defined locally).
- Tower Controller (S2) – All aerodrome control services: Delivery (DEL), Ground (GND) and Tower (TWR).
- TMA Controller (S3) – Approach (APP) and Departure (DEP) positions.
- Enroute Controller (C1) – ‘Enroute’ or ‘Area’ sectors (CTR); both radar and non-radar control services.
- Senior Controller (C3) – Further rating granted by divisions or regions in recognition to controller outstanding performance, skills, participation, etc. (Must hold C1 rating prior to this rating). This rating does not have any increased privileges associated.
If you are ready send the request form and you are ready to start your training at VATCA Air Traffic Controller (ATC) Training Center feel free to sign in here: Training Center.